If you a fan of sweet and sticky barbecue flavours, and not afraid of a little heat, try out my sweet and spicy marinated Pork Belly. Being sweet and spicy it balances well with plain boiled rice (like Bulgogi or Terriyaki), and a little side dish of pickles for sharpness.
- 4 Strips of Pork Belly
- 2 tbsp Chong Jong Won Korean Hot Pepper Paste
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Rice wine or Sherry
- Mix all wet ingredients well in a bowl.
- Coat belly slices well
- Marinate covered in the fridge for at least 24hrs (I often leave it in the fridge for 48 hours for better flavour)
- Line a shallow baking tray with tin foil
- Grill on Med-High for approx 20 mins turning regularly (you want to get a bit of black on the pork – but not too much) or barbecue would be better – sorry forgot we’re in Glasgow!
- Drain off excess oil regularly
- Slice and serve with plain bolied rice, miso soup and pickles.
*You should be able to get all these ingredients from your local Asian supermarket, but don’t worry I will be reviewing some of these over the coming days – so stay tuned for more details.