This is the 1st of 3 summer salad recipes which are just right for a spot of alfresco dinning. I will post the other two over the next couple of days.
This recipe can prepared on the BBQ or with a griddle pan. Either way it is a fantastic accompaniment alongside BBQ meats or as a satisfying alternative to vegy burgers for vegetarians.
Ingredients (Serves 6 as a side)
- 4 Leeks (trimmed and rinsed)
- 250g of feta
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the leeks in half and blanch in simmering water for 3 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Cut the halved leeks in half lengthwise so you are left with two half cylinders. Be careful that the leeks don’t fall apart as the inside can easily come away.
- Brush each with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place each on the BBQ or a griddle pan for 2-3 minutes on each side, making sure not to burn.
- Whilst grilling, cut your feta into small cubes.
- Once the leeks are cooked, mix in a bowl with the feta and a drizzle of good quality olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
You can make a dressing for this dish if you like but I like it with just a dash of extra virgin olive oil to bring out the flavour of the leeks and compliment to subtlety of the feta.