Probably more of an autumnal dish, but what the heck, the fridge had celery and parmasan, the cupboard had penne so here’s my ‘Big Soup’
- 100ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 large Spanish onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups of dry white wine (one for the soup and one for you – Keith Floyd I miss you!)
- 100gr smoked back bacon (or best pancetta if you can find it)
- 1 tin chopped plum tomatoes
- 20g tomato paste
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 4 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 2 bay leaves (fish out before serving)
- 2 pints veggie stock
- 2 courgettes, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 150g of penne pasta
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- In a large pan, heat 50ml of olive oil until shimmering. Add the onions and cook over low heat until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the wine, carrots, celery and bay leaves and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Add the stock and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, heat the remaining 50ml of olive oil until shimmering. Add the bacon, courgettes and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the courgettes soften, and the bacon crisps a bit, about 10 minutes. Add the courgette and bacon and the penne to the soup base and simmer for 60mins. Add the parsley and simmer for 1 minute longer; season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with the Parmesan shavings and a drizzle of olive oil….buona apetito!