You know there isn’t much wrong with the world when you can sit down to a big plate of Italian meatballs! This recipe takes full advantage of slow cooking and is a real winner. I am sure there must be some Italian blood in me because I bet this is as good as any Italian Grandma recipe that you will find out there!
- 500g jar passatta
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- Very small can of tomato concentrate
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tsp sugar
- Garlic powder/granules (NOT garlic salt)
- Some olive oil
- 250g lean minced beef
- 250g lean minced pork
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- One egg beaten
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Some olive oil
Prep time: 25 mins. Cooking time: 6 hrs. Yield: Serves 4. Serve with pasta, covered in Parmesan. I prefer linguini to basic spaghetti and it works well with penne.
- Fry the onion (sprinkle with 1/2 tsp garlic powder) in around 2 tbs of oil at medium for five mins till translucent.
- Add the passatta, tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to the boil. Add sugar and season.
- Place the mix in a slow cooker and cover. Cook for two hrs at high then a further three hrs at low (or low all day if you are going out to work.)
FOUR HOURS LATER…THE MEATBALLS
- Place the mince in a bowl and simply add the garlic powder, breadcrumbs, oregano, parsley, egg and seasoning and mix with your hand till well brought together.
- With the palm of your hand make into small, half golfball size, balls and cook in a medium heat pan with two tbsp oil for about seven minutes – don’t make the heat too fierce – the idea is to get them to cook right the way through. Place on a plate with kitchen towel to absorb oil. Repeat till all the mixture is cooked – makes about 25 meatballs.
- Add the meatballs to the slow cooker, mix lightly, and cook on low for a further hour.