As a super fan of the “Queen of Baking” I decided it was time I share one of my favourite bakes of her’s with you.
Lemon drizzle traybake, it’s a delight of lemony spongy goodness which is only fitting for this time of year.
- 275g self raising flour
- 225g margarine/soft butter (I recommend Stork)
- 225g caster sugar
- 2tsp baking powder
- 4tbsp milk
- 4 eggs (free range)
- grated zest of 2 lemons
For the topping:
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 175g granulated sugar
Prep: 15 mins Cooking Time: 40mins Makes: 25-30 squares
- Lightly grease and line a traybake tin or roasting tin (30 x 23 x 4 cm) and preheat your oven to 160 oC.
- Put all the ingredients for the traybake into a large bowl and beat well for 2 minutes. An electric mixer is best for this but you can also do it by hand.
- Empty all of the mix into the tin and level the top with the back of a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for approximately 40 minutes, until golden and the sponge springs back when pressed lightly.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes then remove from the tin using the baking paper. Carefully remove the paper and allow the cake to cool on a wire rack.
- For the crunchy topping, mix the ingredients together in a measuring jug/small bowl then spoon it over the cake while it’s still just warm.
- Then cut into squares once completely cooled.
Now enjoy a square or three with a lovely cuppa tea!